Performing Arts Encyclopedia
Explore music, theater, and dance at the Library of Congress
|| Concerts ||
In the event of a temporary shutdown of the federal government on Tuesday, Oct. 1, all Library of Congress buildings will close to the public and researchers. All public events will be canceled. Web sites will be inaccessible.
|| Civil War Music & Resources ||
As part of the Library's commemoration of the American Civil War, learn more about the events surrounding the war through the songs and instrumental music of the era.
|| Yiddish American Sheet Music ||
A collection of popular song, mostly originating in the Yiddish theatre, but also arrangements of folk songs, sacred songs and some instrumental numbers.
|| Danny Kaye and Sylvia Fine ||
A wide variety of materials, including manuscripts, scores, scripts, photographs, sound recordings and video clips from the Kaye/Fine Collection.
|| Pre-1700 Musical Treasures ||
An online presentation of pre-1700 musical scores intended to serve as a truly unique resource for scholars, performers, and early music lovers alike.
|| Show Music on Record ||
Based on the book by Jack Raymond, this database provides a reference list for show music recordings from the late 19th century to the early 21st century.
|| Ballets Russes Collection ||
Experience the historically influential Ballets Russes de Serge Diaghilev through photos, scrapbooks & programs, music scores, costume designs, and more.
|| Bronislava Nijinska Collection ||
Documenting dance and the arts in the 20th century, this collection includes diaries, music scores, choreographic notebooks, posters, programs, and more.
|| Kaye / Fine Exhibition ||
This exhibition explores the many talents of the powerful entertainment duo of Danny Kaye and Sylvia Fine, both raised in Brooklyn, New York.
|| Performing Arts Resource Guide ||
Search and browse descriptions of more than 235 music, theater and dance resources by subject, title, or name. Go to the resource guide »
Note: to search for digital items, use the search box on the left side of this page.
|| Special Presentations ||
- African-American Band Music
- Amazing Grace
- American Choral Music
- Ballets Russes de Serge Diaghilev
- Baseball Sheet Music
- Bronislava Nijinska Collection
- Civil War Sheet Music
- Coptic Orthodox Liturgical Chant
- Danny Kaye and Sylvia Fine
- Dolly Parton & Country Music
- Elliott Carter Manuscripts
- Ernest Bloch and the Library
- Felix Mendelssohn
- Franz Liszt at the Library
- Gerry Mulligan Collection
- Great Conversations in Music
- Guarneri "Twin" Violins
- Historic Sheet Music, 1800-1922
- Its Showtime! Sheet Music from Stage and Screen
- Jazz Photos by William P. Gottlieb
- Katherine Dunham Collection
- Library of Congress Publications
- Library of Congress Concerts
- Life in 19th-Century Ohio
- The March King: John Philip Sousa
- Martha Graham Collection
- Musical Instruments at the Library
- Musical Iconography (Dayton Miller)
- Music Treasures Consortium
- Patriotic Melodies
- Pre-1700 Musical Treasures
- Presidential Campaign Songs
- Roger Reynolds Collection
- Samuel Barber and the Library
- Song of America
- Transit of Venus March
- Yiddish American Sheet Music
|| Databases & Online Catalogs ||
"Amazing Grace" Collection
search a database of recordings
- It's Showtime! Sheet Music from Stage and Screen
search a catalog of sheet music
on the Screen
search a filmography created by David Meeker
- Show Music on Record
search a database based on the book by Jack Raymond
Music & Spoken Word
search catalog from the American Folklife Center
Last Updated: 09/27/2013